These photos were taken last week after we got two new pots of orchids, one from AMJ and one from our friends, Mod and Di. Now we don’t have places left for more orchids or any flowers at the windows in the living room (but I still want more).
To me, when I placed them one after one at the windows to take photos, it was as if they were gorgeous models, each of which had its delightful characters and liked to pose in front of my camera.
The settings were simple, I shot with available light from the large windows in the living room which made my subject backlit. Then, I tried with different light metering to get exposures I preferred. After trying different shots, I liked when it’s overexposed on the background and had a correct exposure on the orchids. With that I didn’t lose a glassy look of the glass pots and blurred the background at the same time. I also edited the photos by adding a vignette effect, so it emphasized the illumination from the backlighting.
I didn’t shoot on week 4 because we’re away for the midsummer and it is not much different between last week and this week. The yellow seems to be healthier, all its flowers almost come at once or bloom in a short period unlike the violet. Two buds of the violet have been dry already so it’ll be two flowers short.
Also, the flowers on the yellow are well-aligned, it has a nice orientation of the flowers but less oriented on the violet. It could be that I didn’t attach the spikes with a stick from the beginning and just let them grew.
A new batch of the orchid flowers is coming. I can count 29 buds on one of them and 21 buds on another one which will make 50 flowers in total. I can’t wait to see all of them bloom at the same time. 50 orchid flowers. OMG! This is a new and huge success in my planting experience.
Usually it has only two spikes per plant. Now there are three on each of them. One of them seems to give a cluster of nine flowers on each spike and another gives a cluster of seven flowers. I’m still amazed how it can be three spikes on each plant and it happens on both of the plants. Both of them also have new leaves but not as many new stems as previous year.
AMJ says it is because now they have perfect light and temperature. She also gave me a tip how to cut spikes after flowers have left. I’ve followed it and it works. Maybe this is a reason why I get three this year. Basically, I only need to cut spikes when they become brown or yellow and if they’re green there can be more flowers.
Two days ago the first flower arrived :).